My Evo IV GSR to RS to some kind of race car

Your builds

Re: My Evo IV GSR to RS to some kind of race car

Postby rox » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:12 am

So it's like there is not enough time during "normal people" hours especially the older your kid gets, plus when you have a million projects on a go all at once...
Solution: lose sleep to get things done. Yep...

Diff is back up. Notice the bushings here - where the bushing material is would normally be gaps on the OE bushing. Not only this will prevent the diff from bouncing now, that also prevents the bushing from tearing like the OE does because of the possible travel of the support bar.

Accessory belt is finally on.

Picked up some new fluids for this season from Invision. Trying out Motul 8100 5W40 this year, and Custo race spec PS fluid (probably on both cars).

Other than that 2019 season started, snagged a set of +30mm front fenders from Aaron. He found a set on Yahoo Japan. These will need work and cutting but you can run a 265 tire with something like that! This might be going up on the car in 2019, or later. Depends. But I have them now so whenever I'm ready to go with wider tires I have the front fenders covered :)

And I also have a cat... is what my 8 year old child would say. But I do, first cat in over 20 years. Of course mandatory, car guy who has cat, cat inspects parts picture.

I'm in process of installing front components: steering rack, subframe, tcase with LSD. Then just exhaust, bumper, and other minor things and the car should be good to go. Couple more long nights, and a couple day shifts and I might roll this thing outta my garage by the time the new snow melts!
Marcin D. : 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV
http://club456.ca - Amateur Racing Team
rox

Postby rox » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:43 am

Some less photographed update (I'm running out of time so now I forget to take pictures).
Everything is almost back on the car.
Front diff/tcase is on with axles now. I also (since the photo) put the lower arms back on etc.

Most fluids are filled.

Driveshaft is on. Downpipe is on.
Front hubs are on... still playing around with putting extended studs on the rear hubs.

I ended up picking up the wrong package of studs for the front (yay) so what I ended up doing is swapping the +10mm studs from the front hubs to the back, and now I'm waiting on special order (because Mitsubishi decided to be different of course) of SUPER long studs for the front. The front ones are going to be almost +30mm (good thing I have open lug nuts).

Within the next couple of days I'm hoping to give the car a crank (even if it's still on jackstands).
I'm hoping for: the car starts, runs, doesn't leak anything when warm.

May 4th comes quick, and I'll still need an alignment... so this car better be nice and work :)
rox

Postby Tracker » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am

May 4th comes quick, and I'll still need an alignment... so this car better be nice and work :)

Mine is still in the snowbank... :shock:
Tracker
Tracker

Postby rox » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:18 am

Tracker wrote:

Mine is still in the snowbank... :shock:

This weather is slightly concerning to say the least... maybe we will need winter tires for May 4th.
rox

Postby rox » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Things happened, got the car running, rolling, working quite well (only issue I found thus far is my boostgauge isn't boostgauging... wiring issue of some sort maybe).

I also got some stacks of the future wide body/tire conversion.

E5 flairs for more space in the back (yay for part outs)

8.5/17 +37 BBS forged wheels - apparently rather rare spec (yay for part outs x2)

Got my fog lamp opening covers cut out at plasticplus out of 1/8 puckboard, haven't had time to mess around to install them but the purpose is to regulate the random air being jammed through those openings into the engine bay (I'll probably get these done this summer sometime...)

We had both team cars out for a test drive the other day (before winter came back...).

Next we need to get alignments done and they're pretty much ready for track.
I mean... I still need to put my bride seat in and do some little things but all in all we're kind-of-pretty-much-sort-of ready to go here.
rox

Postby colin3 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 pm

What did you hurt?
Colin Puttick

Lap Times: (Castrol Raceway)
2004 Mazda RX8, coilovers, on Z2's, 2015/10/12: 1:32.981. ASA course: 2015/08/16: 59.939
1991 Acura Integra, IT2 Racecar, on Rivals, 2014/07/26: 1:37.292
2004 Mazda 3, on RE-11A, 2014/08/27: 1:41.014
colin3

Postby rox » Tue May 08, 2018 5:10 am

colin3 wrote:What did you hurt?

If you’re referring to my recent car accident: just muscles and feelings. This was in my daily Lancer, I switched to a Mazda3 now. Kind of tired of wrecking Lancers.

However I decided it’s not a good idea to push things too hard for a few weeks so I’m not going to Knox (too sore for a trip like that plus the event is hard just on its own).

Going back to the track on June 8th likely to do Time Attack.
rox

Postby colin3 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 am

Sorry to hear that Marcin.
Colin Puttick

Lap Times: (Castrol Raceway)
2004 Mazda RX8, coilovers, on Z2's, 2015/10/12: 1:32.981. ASA course: 2015/08/16: 59.939
1991 Acura Integra, IT2 Racecar, on Rivals, 2014/07/26: 1:37.292
2004 Mazda 3, on RE-11A, 2014/08/27: 1:41.014
colin3

Postby rox » Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am

colin3 wrote:Sorry to hear that Marcin.

Thanks.
It could have been way worse, thankfully everyone came out ok (with the exception of both vehicles in the collision, both got totalled).
I think life is just making me slow down a bit here and take a step back, reevaluate my schedule - so I did.
All is well, can't wait to drive the Evo at Castrol soon :)
rox

Previous

Return to #garageofidiots